USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:52:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Scaling Question, with driver or with out?  (Read 8867 times)
lawsonracing
Veteran

« on: January 04, 2010, 12:10:31 PM »

We run Jr Honda and a 78 inch Stanley. My question is it better to scale with a driver or with out?  We run about a 48-49 cross and a 12-15 split. When i do that and then put the driver in the car the split is huge ! 

I just wanted to know what is the best or what other experienced with ?

thanks

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »

You are going to get good arguments for both sides. I always scaled our cars without. Couldn't get the driver to sit still enough for the scales to settle. The main thing is to get a baseline you can return to and adjust from.
Myron
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:05:12 PM »

We run Stanley cars and ALWAYS scale our cars without the driver.....and it has been working pretty good for our team.

Eric Rankine

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 02:20:29 PM »

We scale only without a driver.
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:50:40 PM »

Mike,
Thanks , your always a help. Its ashame we got rained out at end of year! Lawson seems to be getting better and better and you have always given us support and encouragement , even when we have to race against you!  THANK YOU

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 09:35:11 PM »

It is all about the kids having fun. You need to come to the meeting next Monday at 7pm, it will be interesting.

Thanks
JMW23
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:11:48 PM »

Do you set ride heights with or without driver then?
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:25:02 PM »

With. I hope this isn't the "don't you change the corner weights whan you set the ride heights" thing. Yes, it does but if you have the right spring package you shouldn't need to change it. When you see guys cranking multiple turns into or out of a spring they are compensating for some inbalance in the car. Usualy wheight transfer too fast or too slow due to improper shock valving. That is what let the smoke out in these things. When they got away from rigid chassis cars. Throwing shocks and live suspension on them added cost and complexity that scares the crap out of a lot of people.
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 11:43:09 PM »

i set ride heights with out driver. Stanley cars( what i really love about them) are cookie cutter with base line set up the same. Usually on Stanley you ad tilt to loosen or tightened , highly recommended by Stanley... Swartz agree with you, i have learned ( going into my 3rd year jr honda) that make minor adjustments and then see. I see many start to throw everything  at the car, forgetting where they started. My son is only 6 and I am learning to let him get confidence and comfortable before getting crazy on set ups

Lawson Ingold Racing
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: